Friday, April 27, 2012

Vitamins

I met with T's teacher, Ms. Reagan, this week.  It wasn't anything special, just the end of the year parent/teacher conference.  I don't really remember the beginning of the conference.  I just remember when she said A.D.D.  Let me say that she was very sweet about it and I in no way felt negative about her comments.  Neil and I have been noticing things about T since he was a little baby.  I can't say that I was 100% surprised. 
The good news is that Tyrus is going to 1st grade.  He is on the right reading level and she suspects that he would very bored if they held him back.  She also said that she thinks he is gifted.  That if they are learning about science, weather, animals, or nature that he is borderline genius.  You can tell that all of those things really interest him and he wants to know everything about it.  This is all good and great, but when she asks Tyrus to sit and write a sentence it will take him all morning.  A lot of times he won't finish on his own and either she or Ms. Hancock will have to take him out in the hall.  Tyrus complains that the other kids are too loud and he gets distracted.  Ms. Reagan told me that the other kids are not that loud, it is just normal noise.  The point is that Tyrus has to learn how to focus and block out the distractions.  Ms. Reagan stressed that she knows T knows how to do these things and that he is very smart.  She did some research and said there are certain vitamins that can make a huge difference.  She also stressed that she is against medicine for A.D.D. and that she thinks we can get this under control now if we start working on it.  Fast forward to the next day and we now have these...
 I went to an herbal store and spoke to the lady that runs it.  She has been there for years so I trusted what she said.  I briefly described T to her and she immediately took me over to a section that was full of vitamins.  She picked out this one because of the Fish Oil and the studies show great improvement in kids.  They also taste really good...
 She also recommended this one called Focus Attention...
 This will, obviously, help him focus.  She said that these were fine to combine.  The Focus Attention is a capsule full of powder.  She told me to break the capsule open and sprinkle the powder in applesauce.  She said that for the first week to give him this twice a day.  She also said that we would see results within the first week of him taking these.  If we don't see improvements then we could try another set.  This is what they look like...
 The chew is really good and he asks for more than one when I give him one.  The first morning of the capsule I didn't have ANYTHING to mix the powder with.  I asked him if he thought he could swallow it.  He said he thought he could.  I never in a million years thought he could swallow it, but he did.  Now, I don't even need applesauce.  He just swallows it.  He calls them his "brain food" and tells me that it helps him say smart things. :)
I emailed Ms. Reagan and. told her to keep her eye on him.  One, for improvement signs.  Two, for any signs that these vitamins are hurting him in anyway.  She was all about it and said she would watch him close.  She also volunteered to spend a couple of days a week this summer with Tyrus so he didn't get off track.  I love her.  She is the best teacher in the world for our T.
Speaking of Tyrus and Ms. Reagan...
I bought this picture for me.  It was ten dollars, but I could never not buy it.  It will probably end up in a box, but at least one day he can see his first little class.
I need to also say that Ms. Reagan and Ms. Hancock both adore Tyrus.  She told me that he is so sweet.  He is a great friend and is very social.  When he isn't there they totally notice his absence.  He is polite and uses his manners and is very funny.  He makes them laugh everyday.  This distraction thing isn't a big deal.  We just need to know that it exists and learn how to control it.  I know it had to be tough for Ms. Reagan to say things about Tyrus.  She loves him so much.  However, I will forever be greatful that she brought this up and is making it in our face.  Like I said, Neil and I both suspected this.  We just needed a little push. 

No comments: