Friday, February 04, 2011

Lunch Bunch

I forgot about Lunch Bunch! The only reason that I remembered was because Mrs. Melissa sent me a nice reminder text the night before. I was so disappointed in myself because this was a big deal to me. I had intended on taking Tyrus to Wal-Mart and letting him pick out a new lunch box and something that he would want to take. This was going to be the first time in his life that I was going to pack a lunch for him to take to school. Here I was at 9:45 the night before rummaging through the pantry trying to find something to pack for him. I ended up getting the last slice of cheese and 2 of the last few pieces of bread and making him a cheese sandwich. I didn't feel too bad about this because he LOVES cheese sandwiches. I also packed him some cheese balls and some raw carrots. At the last second I threw in a heart shaped valentine's brownie. I put it all in a paper bag that was red and white and said "Popcorn" on it. I told him that all the cool kids take their lunch in red and white popcorn bags. I briefly considered writing him a little love letter and putting it in his bad, but then I remembered that he can't really read yet. So, I didn't. When I picked him up that afternoon I asked him all about Lunch Bunch and if he liked the lunch that Mama made him. This is what he said:

"Uh huh, I sure did"
"Did you eat everything?"
"No, I didn't want the cheese balls. I put them back in my popcorn bag."
"You ate the carrots?"
"Yep. They were really good."
"What about the surprise that Mama put in there for you?"
"The red brownie? It was good. I showed it to everybody."

I can't wait until I can start leaving him sweet little messages in his lunch box. Until then a little red valentine brownie will have to do. :)

No comments: