Friday, November 26, 2010

Thanksgiving 2010

Yesterday was Thanksgiving and it was our second time hosting for our family. In the days leading up to Thanksgiving when I tell someone how many people we are hosting for Thanksgiving they always say, "Wow, are you stressed?" It's funny because, the truth is, I don't stress about it. This year it was only Neil's family and it turned out to be about (Adriene, Molly, Alyssa, Anna, Joel, Lisa, Mitchell, Katelyn, Owen, Amber, Riley, Kenna, Bryson, Peyton, Bobbie, Michael, Destiny, Sabrina, Samantha, Amelia, Mrs. Tingle, Mr. Tingle) 22 people not including the four of us. I have to say that I love each and every one of them like they are my own blood. I feel like we've been family forever. Many of them I've seen born so I feel extra close to them. So, I don't stress about it because they are family and I love hearing all the kids laughing and playing with each other. However, I do not enjoy hearing them ringing the doorbell over. and. over. again. They thought it was hilarious, me not so much.

Yesterday started at about 8:30. Neil and I spent the day cleaning and entertaining the kids. Neil cooked the Turkey and it got rave reviews from the family. When the Turkey came out of the oven I started making my macaroni, corn casserole, and peach cobbler. Everyone was supposed to get there at 4:00 and at 3:59 I went upstairs to get dressed. I'm lucky no one got there early because they would have found me in the kitchen with my pink robe on.

All the sisters brought food and we had a ton of it!! We made macaroni & cheese, corn casserole, and peach cobbler and all together we had turkey, ham, prime rib, green bean casserole, Lima beans, mashed potatoes, stuffing, stuffing, stuffing, potato salad (thanks Mom!), sweet potato casserole, and cranberry sauce. Mrs. Tingle had strict instructions not to bring anything, but she walked in with a Tupperware box full including the prime rib, cranberry sauce, and desserts. Speaking of desserts, we had pie, pie, pie, cheesecake, peach cobbler, and cake! I made sure that it was all given away. I didn't want that left in the house! I did attempt to make Deviled eggs, but they perished in the process. Did you know that you should buy eggs that you intend to boil a week out? The fresher the egg the less likely that they will be successful deviled egg. I had no idea!

When everyone arrived the kids immediately got to playing. The guys took them out back to play while all the girls got the food ready. When all the food was heated and ready Owen blessed the food and we ate. The kids sat by themselves at the kitchen table and the adults ate in the dining room. It took about 15 minutes to eat and everyone was back to playing. At one point I took the little girls upstairs to watch Beauty & The Beast. I had recorded it in our room and they all sat on the floor with pillows. It was cute because they were all cuddled up together. For the next couple of hours everyone just visited and the kids played and played. I think they entered every room in the house! Everyone started heading out around 9:00 and the four of us were alone again by 10ish. Mary was so tired and she was way past her bedtime. She decided to throw a major fit. I guarantee that Tyrus was asleep before I even got the door to his bedroom closed. He played so hard and was exhausted. Once we got Mary calmed down and put her down she didn't make another sound. The poor girl was just exhausted. I think they had a good day.

I'm thankful for this family. I love each and every one of them and they each bring something different to the family that makes it so much fun to be together. Mr. and Mrs. Tingle did such a good job raising their babies and in return all their babies are doing a good job raising their babies.

To the two sisters-in-laws that may read this (you know who you are), I hope y'all had as much fun as I did. I love you! Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: