Thursday, July 22, 2010

Don't Say It Right

I know as parents are goal is to always teach our children the correct way to do and say certain things. I get that. However, when it comes to certain things I don't want to do that. Let me explain. Tyrus has a handful of words that he pronounces incorrectly. It doesn't matter how many times we correct him or say it REALLY slowly he still pronounces it his way. He thinks it's the right way. A few examples:

Remote - "Camote"
Doughnut - "Go nut"
Concession Stand - "Construction Stand"

He has said these words this way for as long as he could talk.

A lesson:
Neil: "Ty, say Dough."
Ty: "Dough"
Neil: "Say nut."
Ty: "Nut"
Neil: "Say doughnut"
Ty: "Go nut!"

This has been said in our home over and over again.

Tonight, when we got home, I was looking for the remote to turn some cartoons on and Tyrus walked into the room and said, "Mama, you looking for the remote?"
Me: "Huh?"

I kinda froze in my tracks because, much like seeing Mary with a ponytail this morning, I realized that my little sweet babies are growing up and they're learning new things. Yay for them! But, kinda sad for me.

I'm secretly asking Tyrus not to say it right. And I think that I'll probably always say it the wrong way in my head because it will remind me of the little Tyrus that sounded so cute when he said things the incorrect way.

No comments: