Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Christmas Eve
When my sister, brother, and I were little the way my parents got us to go to bed on Christmas Eve was one of them would sneak away and hide and ring a bell. The one that was left would tell us that the bell was Santa's jingle bells on his sleigh and that he must be getting close and it was time to go to bed. Everyone knew that Santa would not come to your house if you were awake. I was so excited to carry this on to my babies and this year was the first year that Tyrus was old enough to understand it. So, when we got home from Mom's house and finished getting Santa's snacks together I snuck out of the house with a bell in my hand. Tyrus and Neil were still standing in the kitchen. I went out the front door and snuck around to the back in the dark. I stood right outside the kitchen window. Tyrus and Neil were deep in conversation about carrots and cookies when I rang the little bell. Tyrus immediately froze with a mouth full of carrots and was intently listening to hear it again...
Neil told him that it was time to go to bed because Santa was near and Ty went down without a fuss. I snuck back in the house just in time to kiss my sweet boy good night.

No comments: